WELCOME TO THE MIAMI HERALD ONLINE STORE! Browse our newspaper's digital and historical image collection Order memorable photos, pages and gifts for keepsake License the best news images for your documentary, book or magazine
The Serpentarium was an unusual tourist attraction
Nothing says Old Florida like the snake shows at the Serpentarium on South Dixie Highway. The building was part of the attraction, with its 35-foot-high hooded concrete-and-stucco cobra with a forked tongue that towered over the building. And presiding over the green mambas, king cobras and palm vipers was the memorable Bill Haast, snake handler and scientist, who opened the place in 1948 and charmed up to 50,000 visitors a year until he closed the doors in 1984.
Album ID: 1736014
Miami's Bayfront Park user friendly again
A tree-rich makeover of downtown Miami's Bayfront Park aims to return the underused space to its former luster as the city's popular front porch.
Album ID: 1710083
The Grand Bay Hotel, 1983
The Grand Bay Hotel, 2669 S. Bayshore Dr., Miami, was more than a $30-million pyramid-shaped hotel when it opened in 1983. What made the craftsmanship of the Grand Bay Hotel significant was that local designers, artists and architects played a part.
Album ID: 1662598
The cottages of Coconut Grove
People who live in Coconut Grove's vintage houses describe them as magical, historical pockets of Old Florida. One 1920s stucco house in desperate need of some TLC appealed to Barbara Pope.
Album ID: 1647283
Stitsville, a neighborhood on the water with a colorful past
For generations, Miami's Stiltsville neighborhood has been the subject of endless fascination, and occasional controversy. Remaining Stiltsvillians vow to keep the unique neighborhood standing. The seven surviving stilt homes are built on wooden and concrete pylons two miles offshore in what is now Biscayne National Park. But Stiltsville was once a remote getaway for politicians, judges and other Miami bigwigs to gamble and drink illegally during Prohibition.
Album ID: 1625165
The Fontainebleau Hotel, Miami Beach
The Fontainebleau Hotel, opened with an inaugural ball in 1954, was an icon of the glittery sophistication that defined high-fashion chic in the mid-1950s. Owner Ben Novack and architect Morris Lapidus saw to it that the Miami Beach resort hotel set a standard for hotels across the country. Frank Sinatra played the Fontainebleau's La Ronde nightclub and made movies at the hotel (three of them between 1959 and '68). Elvis Presley, fresh from the Army, rode in on a train in 1960 to tape a television special with Sinatra at the Fontainebleau.
Album ID: 1605506
"Wall of Shame" along Northwest 12th Avenue separated races
A "Segregation Wall" ran on the west side of Northwest 12th Avenue from just north of 62nd Street to about 70th Street in Liberty City. It is believed the wall was erected around 1939 by the city of Miami to separate the races. Several decades ago it was removed but portions of its foundation remain.
Album ID: 1582652
The Paramount Theatre reopens
A $100,000 renovation brought the Paramount Theatre back to life.
Album ID: 1578683
Views of downtown Miami and Brickell Key
Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald photographers view a changing skyline.
Album ID: 1576660
Bobby Maduro Stadium, Miami's first home of the Marlins
On August 31, 1949, the Miami Sun Sox and Havana Cubans - two teams in the Class B Florida International League - inaugurated Miami Stadium, a 9,000-seat ballpark at the corner of NW 23rd Street and 10th Avenue. Built by former Cuban Minister of Education Jose Aleman, the stadium was a half-million dollar monument to Miami's big-league dreams. But attendance figures fell year-after-year. By 1954, the stadium sat vacant. In 1956 it got a second chance when the Triple-A Marlins moved in. In 1961, the team relocated to San Juan. For the next 30 years the city played host to a succession of Class A teams with names like the Marlins, Orioles, and Miracle. The Baltimore Orioles made Miami Stadium their pre-season home. The stadium was pressed into service as barracks during riots and refugee camp during waves of immigration. But by 1990, the facility had deteriorated to the point of no return. After sitting empty more than decade, the ballpark (renamed Bobby Maduro Stadium in 1987) succumbed, in 2001, to the wrecking ball.